Thursday, October 10, 2013

Survival of the Mommy

Having a baby is hard work.  And yes, I know that everyone says that.  I'm just reiterating the fact.

Between my stubborn baby who doesn't want to fall asleep when she is tired, cloth diapering, and 2 am diaper changes/feedings, there is a lot that can make a mom go insane. 

So, this is how I survive the late nights, too many feedings, and crying (both from mom and baby):

1.  Netflix & Hulu.  In other words: TV shows.  I can't tell you how tired I get in the middle of night while feeding her.  Not to mention that the hormones released while breastfeeding are also supposed to make you tired.  One way to combat this is to watch something to take my mind off of being tired.  This works pretty well, especially when they're incredibly cheesy and dramatic.  Such as: Grey's Anatomy, New Girl, Walking Dead, ANTM, Parenthood, Call the Midwife... and of course Parks and Rec and reruns of The Office.

2.  Food.  Now that my appetite is back full force and then some, I eat a lot.  Or at least I feel like I eat more.  Late night feedings are much more comfortable with a snack to go with it.  Especially when it's something like ice cream.

3.  Baby gear.   Sometimes I wouldn't know what I would do without my baby carrier.  Ellie LIVES off of movement.  Nick and I are constantly bouncing on the yoga ball with her to get her to sleep.  It's the one thing that can almost always calm her down.  Sometimes her swing will calm her down, but (I'm watching her do this now) sometimes it just keeps her content while she fights her closing eyes and sleep.  Seriously.  She will take forever to fall asleep even though she is SO tired.  It's terrible.  She gets her stubbornness from her mother.  Ugh.


4.  Showers.  Showers are amazing.  It's one of the few times where I can just relax and refresh my sore breastfeeding muscles. 

5.  Blogging.  You guys keep me sane.  I may not blog that much these days, but there are still drafts and ideas floating around.  Someday I'll get to finishing them.  Reading blogs and just having blog friends keep me occupied and my brain flowing.  I'm brainstorming a new blog layout as we speak (or you read and I type).


6.  Support.  I can't even begin to say how wonderful it has been to have a great support system around.  My grandparents have been so amazing with all of this and are constantly helping out.  We have been blessed with such great people in our lives!  Nick has been a pretty wonderful husband and dad as well.  He takes care of nighttime diaper changes even when I told him not to. 

7.  This face.  It's hard to be stressed and frustrated when this little girl has a face like this.


5 comments:

  1. Such a little cutie, I can't believe it's been a month already!!

    I bet you can't wait til she starts sleeping through the night ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all wonderful surviving tips (: She is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first couple of months are so hard. Especially if you have baby blues at all. I did and there were literally times when I wanted Hayes to just go away, and never come back, I thought I had made such a horrible mistake and I would never have a normal life again. I am here to tell you that your life does get back to normal, and it all kind of seems like a fuzzy dream. Get out of the house as much as you can, get dressed in something other than comfy clothes. It makes a huge difference and helps you feel like a normal person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, she is cute. I've never heard of any of my friends using a yoga ball, that seems like a good tip for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That face!

    Getting up at 2 in the morning definitely sounds more bearable when combined with ice cream and t.v. It sounds like you've got it all figured out!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Leave them for me!