Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cardamom Pecan Coffee Cake


My husband really wanted to make something with cardamom (he loves cooking with different spices/herbs) for a family get-together.  His first idea was to make a cardamom peach cobbler.

Did you know it is incredibly difficult to find frozen peaches?  Nobody sells frozen peaches.  Very frustrating.

So he had to switch plans.   Instead he made an awesome cardamom pecan coffee cake. 

It was amazing.

I am here today to tell you about this wonderful recipe my husband found/made.


Cake ingredients:
-  2 c. soft butter
2 c. light brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tbsp. vanilla
2 c. sour cream
4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. powdered cardamom
1/2 tsp. salt
 
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamon, and salt.
Add sour cream and flour mixture one at a time.  Make sure you are starting and ending with the flour mixture.
Don't over mix!

Nut mixture ingredients:
-  1/2 c. brown sugar
-  2 tbsp. cinnamon
-  1 c. chopped pecans
 
The orginal recipe called for half less of the nut mixture, but we wanted more pecans in ours and it actually turned out to be a really great idea.  There weren't too many pecans!
Mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts.

Spoon 1/3 of the batter into a well buttered pan then 1/2 of the nut mixture
Then 1/3 batter, then remaining nuts, then remaining batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until it's brown on top and dry when you put a toothpick all the way through.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Your new layout is too cute! I love the picture you put up on the left side bar. You made such a beautiful bride. :)

    This recipe sounds so good - I'm like your husband, I like to mix things up a bit and cook with lots of different spices! :) Too bad I'm on a diet, haha, or I'd be making this for sure! (Try walmart next time for frozen peaches, they had some last night!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about frozen peaches! I tried to make a peach pie a few months ago and could NOT find any.

    As for cardamom--give Nick a high-five from me. That's one of my favourite spices EVER. And I just plain love a variety of spices. :)

    Justina

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Leave them for me!