Monday, December 1, 2014

The Problem with Kids' Books

When I get books for my daughter, I like to get books that I actually enjoy reading to her.  Ones that aren't incredibly ridiculous, rude (farting jokes, seriously?!), or annoyingly monotonous.


Books like: Brown Bear Brown Bear, Goodnight Moon, and Moo Baa La La La! are some of the best.

But, there are books that somehow slip into our collection.  They either come from family or my super-speedy shopping trip where I read the first and last page and assumed it was good - plus, it was on sale (or used)!

I'm here to share with you one book that slipped into our library.  My daughter likes it for the crazy graphics.  I despise it for it's terrible grammar.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DJWnJYBjL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Take a look.  I'll start a new line where there is a new page.


Here is a stripy tiger and a zebra, too,
a family of monkeys, one eating a banana,
a fat grey hippo and a thin pink flamingo,
a green parrot flying, a red parrot climbing,
 there is a giraffe, so very tall,
a crocodile so very long,
and an elephant, the biggest of all,
all together in the jolly jungle.


First off, no. That's not a mistake.  There is only ONE capitalization and ONE period.  The rest is written as-is.  One beautiful run-on sentence.  The best I've seen. 

So, what do you think?   Maybe I'm being over-analytical - it is a kid's book after all...but come on!

1 comment:

  1. I barely even made it through that whole paragraph. Burn that book.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Leave them for me!