Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Canning: Zucchini Relish

I have just realized that I have a million recipes that I have done that were supposed to be shared with you, but for some reason I have not shared them yet!  I'll try and span them out over time so you aren't bombarded and overloaded with FOOD.

Recipe #1 from the mass forgotten list/pictures of past recipes.

You may already know that Nick and I canned some salsa previously (that recipe will come as well), but we wanted to can something else.  After thinking about it for awhile (and maybe a little late in the canning season), we realized that zucchini was in season and so we decided to make a yummy zucchini relish (thank you mom!).


Canned Zucchini Relish

Ingredients:
  -  10 cups ground or shredded zucchini (I shred them in the food processor)
  -  4 cups ground or chopped onion
  -  2 or 3 green or red peppers chopped (red gives you more of a color contrast)
  -  5 Tbsp. salt

  -  5 cups sugar
  -  2 1/4 cups vinegar
  -  1 tsp. dry mustard
  -  1/2 tsp. pepper
  -  1 tsp. nutmeg
  -  1 tsp. tumeric
  -  2 tsp. celery seed
 
  -  2 Tbsp. corn starch

 
Take the first four items (zucchini, onion, peppers, and salt) and mix them together in a big bowl and let sit overnight on the counter.  You don't have to put them in the fridge.
 

In the morning rinse your mixture well with cold water and put aside.

In a large stock pot combine the remaining ingredients (minus corn starch) and bring to a boil.  Boil for 15 minutes.  

 
Mix in the drained zucchini mixture and bring back to a boil.  Boil for 15 minutes (15's the magic number).
 
Add 2 Tbsp. of corn starch to thicken the mixture. 

Put in jars and waterbath for 15-20 minutes.  I don't have anymore photos because, well, I was too excited about having more cans in my pantry!   I'll take a picture of all the cans and add them later :)
 
Makes 7-8 pints.


Enjoy!!



5 comments:

  1. This looks so good!! I love zucchini.

    Canning is one thing I have never tried.... :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my summer goals was to try real canning, but I never got around to it. I did make some refrigerator jalapenos and freezer jam though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandparents canned evvvvvverything when I was growing up. I've always wanted to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never grew up around canning but my boss is obsessed with it. Maybe I should ask for pointers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so good! Yummy and healthy! <3

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Leave them for me!