Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cleansing update

This cleanse is pretty good actually.  I've survived each day with some big cravings here and there, but I definitely eat some pretty great food.

Day 1 went pretty well.  I went a little crazy at work because my lunch wasn't that fantastic and in the staff room there was a huge cake for someone's birthday and a bag of crackers.  I wanted so bad to just reach over and take a bite.  I instead fought my desires and wants and got lost in my book.  Thank you Hunger Games!

We had Vindaloo Vegetables for dinner on Monday.  It was pretty good.  I think it'd be better with some rice or something, but whatever.  Ha!


I also snuck in some air-popped popcorn.  My husband is still a little on the edge with this.  I say it's a vegetable because it's corn, but he's not too keen on the idea.  Oh well.  It was great and I'm not complaining!


The juice I'm drinking today is a Pear-Grape-Cucumber-Lime juice and it is AMAZING.  Seriously.  You should try it.

You just need to juice:
  • 1 cup of green grapes
  • 1 pear
  • 1 lime
  • 2 cucumbers
That's it.  It's awesome!

____________________________________________________________________________

Here's the Vindaloo Vegetables recipe found here.  You can definitely change things around.  We didn't use peas (my husband doesn't like them so we used corn) or cauliflower or kidney beans.  It still tasted great!

3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tbsp. ginger, peeled and chopped
1 small date, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 lg. yellow onion, chopped
2 small carrots, thinly sliced
1 sm. green or red bell pepper, seeded and diced
4 cups small cauliflower florets
2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans (or one 15.5 ounce canned beans, rinsed and drained)
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
Water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (salt is optional)
1 cup frozen green peas (or a can of corn), thawed

In a blender or food processor, combine the garlic, ginger, date, coriander, cumin, mustard, cayenne, turmeric, vinegar, and 1/2 cup water; process until smooth and set aside.

Heat a large non-stick pot or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots and one tablespoon of water, cover, and cook until softened, stirring often and adding more water as necessary to prevent burning–about 5 minutes.

Add the spice paste from the blender and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper, cauliflower, zucchini, and kidney beans. Cover and turn heat to low.

Put the tomato paste and 1 1/4 cup water in the blender and blend thoroughly. Add the tomato paste mixture to the vegetables, season with pepper and salt (if using), cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender, but not mushy, about 20 minutes.

Add the peas and allow to heat through for about 5 minutes. Serve alone or over basmati rice or other grain.





1 comment:

  1. Hey dear its your husband. For that juice recipe I actually added about half a freezer bag full of kale. I used 6 pears, two cucumbers, two limes and a bunch of grapes (really, how do you measure grapes?).

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Leave them for me!