Monday, July 16, 2012

Guest Post: Mrs. Robinson from My New Wife Life

While you're reading this I'll be in the middle of a Montana forest with my family.  I'm serious.  You'll hear all about the trip once we get back, but until that time I have asked some lovely bloggers to take over for me whilst I'm away!

I am super excited for you to meet one of my favorite bloggers.  She is incredibly sweet and blogs from the heart.
 Her name is Mrs. Robinson and she blogs over at My New Wife Life.
If you aren't a follower of her or haven't heard of her, go check out her blog!  Show her some love! 



:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



Hello!  I'm Mrs. Robinson from My New Wife Life.  Maybe you've heard of it?  Probably not, but I'll be entertaining y'all today while Alison is on vacation!  I'm so excited to be guest posting for her today...she's just so cool.  ;)   




Anyway, I'm a newlywed just like Mrs. Alison, and I'm sure both of us could say we weren't expecting to learn so many different lessons during the first year of marriage.  I've been thinking about all the things in life that prepared me for marriage, even if I didn't realize it at the time.  I've narrowed it down to 3 ways slumber parties prepared for me marriage.  Let's go!    

1.  You don't always get to watch the movie you want to watch.

Whenever I had Slumber Parties as a girl, my mom always made me accommodate the other girls.  They were the guests, and somehow that meant that their votes counted more than mine did!  The horror!  It was something I really didn't understand at the time, but it taught me a valuable lesson about marriage.  It prepared me for all the action flicks my husband would force me to watch.  It prepared me for the Star Wars marathons.  It prepared me for ESPN.  Sure, there are plenty of times when my husband lets me "win" and we watch the movie or show of my choice.  But, if my parent's hadn't been cruel enough to make me let the other little girls pick what we watch, I might not have been able to welcome my husband's awful taste in television quite as easily.    
 
2.  Sometimes you get peer pressured into doing weird things.
 
When you're a young girl at a Slumber Party, all sorts of things are possible.  You might steal a pack of cigarettes and smoke in the bushes.  You might dip someone's bra in water and then put it in the freezer.  Someone could wake-up with crazy make-up, marker designs, or even toothpaste smeared across their faces.  Anything is possible, and anything weird is probable.  And thank goodness for those experiences, because they prepared me for jumping into the unknown of shaving neck hair.  Because of Slumber Parties, I've developed a tolerance to tasting and smelling weird things like dark beer or ... something that smells weird (I'll just leave that to the imagination).  Slumber Parties prepared me for the weirdness that is eating junk foods for dinner!  The list of weird things my husband peer pressures me into doing could go on and on, but I'll just leave it with some basic weird things we can all relate to.  I won't write about discussions of bowel movements, making weird faces, talking in foreign accents, or anything of the like.  :)  And I definitely won't get into the list of things that look like fun but hurt like heck in reality.  Tee-hee.
 
3. The amount of fun you have is measured by the mess that's left behind.

We've all been there, right?  You had just experience the best sleep over ever.  The last mom shows up, the last girl leaves, and you are left with a huge mess to clean up.  Well-behaved girls don't make messes.  (I guess I don't know that for certain.  I was never well-behaved, so I'm just assuming what the opposite of "me" would have done.)  The more trouble we got into, the more damage we did, the bigger mess we made!  That applies to marriage more-so than any other analogy of I've use in this post.  The best meals leave behind the messiest kitchens.  The best "alone time" leaves the sheets all messed up.  The best weekends that are full of quality time do not usually include a spotless home.  The best memories are made when we aren't worried about the messes we create in the process.  

I hope that at least some of this made sense.  I really hope it made you laugh.  :)  When we really think about it, so many aspects of our youth prepared us for the very moment we're living in.  I wonder what lessons we're learning now that will pay off 20 years from today....

Thanks for having me, Alison! 

sig-1-1



:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Leave them for me!